A. Pursuant to Article II, Section II of the Constitution of the state of Washington, and RCW 35.22.280(7) and (30), the City enacts the ordinance codified in this chapter, in the exercise of the police power, to protect the public health and safety and promote the general welfare of the community by:
1. Making possible the use of on-street parking spaces by the maximum number of vehicles consistent with the demands of commerce;
2. Minimizing the congesting and serious air pollution caused by slow-moving and re-circulating motor vehicles;
3. Accommodating the maintenance of public streets in a condition reasonably safe for public travel;
4. Fostering the conduct of private and public commerce;
5. Providing means of public revenues necessary to enforce traffic control;
6. Encouraging respect and general public obedience of the laws of the City and deterring repeated violations.
B. This chapter does not create nor otherwise establish or designate any particular class or group of persons who will or should be especially protected or benefited by the terms of these regulations. It is the specific intent of the regulations set forth in this chapter to place the obligation of compliance upon the registered owner, legal owner and driver of the vehicle and no provision or term used in these regulations is intended to impose any duty whatsoever upon the City or any of its officers, employees, or agents for whom the implementation or enforcement of these regulations shall be discretionary and not mandatory.
C. Nothing contained in these regulations is intended to be nor shall be construed to create or form the basis for any liability on the part of the City, its officers, employees, or agents, for any injury or damage resulting from the failure to comply with these regulations, or in consequence or in connection with the implementation or enforcement of these regulations, or by reason of any action or inaction on the part of the City related in any manner to the enforcement of these regulations by its officers, employees or agents.
D. Notwithstanding any language used in this chapter, it is not the intent of this chapter to create a duty and/or cause of action running to any individual or identifiable person, but rather any duty is intended to run only to the general public. (Ord. 1865, 1998)