A. Investigation. Where the Building Official reasonably believes that a premises does not have sewer service or water service for fourteen (14) consecutive calendar days, the Building Official may issue and post a notice of violation. Unless appealed pursuant to SMC 19.06.060, the notice of violation becomes a final determination on the eleventh business day after the posting of the notice at which time the Building Official shall post the premises “Unfit for Occupancy – No Trespassing.”
B. Violation Notice. An enforcement action is commenced by a notice of violation. The Building Official shall post a copy of the notice of violation on the premises and shall mail a copy of the notice of violation to the owner identified in the records of the Snohomish County Assessor and to the street address of the premises. The notice of violation shall contain:
1. Information identifying the premises including the address and tax parcel number.
2. A concise description of the basis for the notice of violation.
3. A statement that the premises must be vacated unless sewer service and water service are functioning within ten (10) business days of posting the notice of violation.
4. A statement that a responsible person may appeal the Building Official’s determination to the Land Use Hearing Examiner by filing a written appeal setting forth the grounds for the appeal no later than ten (10) business days after the notice of violation was posted.
5. A statement that if the Building Official’s determination is not appealed within ten (10) business days of posting the notice of violation:
a. The notice of violation will become a final determination;
b. That the premises must be vacated and secured as provided in this chapter;
c. That any person occupying the premises will be liable as provided in this chapter; and
d. That any responsible person failing to secure the premises will be liable as provided in this chapter.
6. The date the notice of violation was posted on the premises.
7. The address where an appeal may be delivered to the City Clerk.
8. A copy of this chapter must be attached to the notice of violation that is mailed to the owner and the street address, but need not be attached to the notice of violation that is posted on the premises. (Ord. 2386, 2019)