3.60.030 Requirement for Compost Use.
A. The City of Snohomish must consider and use, to the extent feasible, finished compost products on City projects or on City property in which compost is an appropriate material, including:
1. Landscaping projects;
2. Construction and postconstruction soil amendments;
3. Applications to prevent erosion, filter stormwater runoff, promote vegetative growth, or improve the stability and longevity of roadways; and
4. Low-impact development of green infrastructure to filter pollutants or to keep water on site, or both.
B. The City is not required to use compost products if any of the following apply:
1. Compost products are not available within a reasonable period of time.
2. Compost prices are not reasonable or competitive.
3. Compost products that are available do not comply with existing purchasing standards.
4. Available compost products do not comply with federal or state health, quality, or safety standards.
C. Pursuant to RCW 43.19A.130, the City must strive to purchase an amount of finished compost products equal or greater than 50 percent of the amount of organic materials collected in the City of Snohomish. (Ord. 2460, 2023)