Skip to main content
This section is included in your selections.

A. Except where a credit or deferral for the Utility Connection Fee is authorized by SMC 15.04.142, a Utility Connection Fee shall be assessed for each new water or sewer connection and for each connection which has remained unused for twelve (12) months and/or for which a minimum maintenance fee as set forth in SMC 15.05.040 has not been paid during said period to provide means by which property owners who connect to the City’s water and/or sewer utilities bear an equitable share of the cost of construction and replacement of major utility facilities and equipment, which include the following: all projects in the City’s Water and Sewer Capital Facilities Plan. The connection fee for both the water and sewer connection shall be based upon the size of the water service. Connection fees for utility connection made to property located outside of the corporate City limits shall be one hundred fifty (150) percent of those charges established by resolution as authorized in subsection B of this section.

B. The City Council shall, from time to time by Council resolution, determine the amount of Utility Connection Fee for water and sewer connection.

C. Payment of all connection fees shall be made in full upon submission of an application for service under SMC 15.04.020 or by a credit against payment or deferral established by SMC 15.04.142. No water or sewer service shall be commenced until such charges have been paid in full with good funds or by the credit against payment or deferral established by SMC 15.04.142. All charges constitute a lien against the property superior to all other liens and encumbrances except those for general and special assessments. Such a lien may be foreclosed in the same manner provided by law for the foreclosure of delinquent local improvement district assessments.

D. All Utility Connection Fees received by the City shall be deposited in the Water Sewer System Replacement Fund. (Ord. 1602, 1987; Ord. 1730, 1993; Ord. 1886, 1999; Ord. 2075, 2005; Ord. 2236, 2012; Ord. 2384, 2019)