A. The definition of words and phrases contained in RCW 46.04.010 through 46.04.700 are adopted by reference and shall, for the purposes of this chapter, have the same meanings ascribed to words and phrases herein.
B. The following words and phrases, when used in this chapter, shall have the following meanings:
1. “Alley” means a public highway not designed for general travel and used primarily as a means of access to the rear of residences and business establishments.
2. “Bus stop” means a fixed portion of the highway parallel and adjacent to the curb and designated by a sign to be reserved exclusively for buses for layover in operating schedules or while waiting for, loading, or unloading passengers; provided, that such bus provides regularly scheduled service within the City.
3. “Camper” means a structure designed to be mounted upon a motor vehicle and which provides facilities for human habitation or for temporary outdoor or recreational lodging.
4. “City” means the City of Snohomish.
5. “City street” means every public highway, or part thereof located within the limits of the City, except alleys.
6. “Crosswalk” means that portion of the roadway between the intersection area and a prolongation or connection of the farthest sidewalk line or in the event there are no improved sidewalks, then between the intersection area and a line ten feet therefrom, except as modified by a marked crosswalk.
7. “Curb” or “curb line” means the edge of a roadway, whether marked by curbing construction or not.
8. “Intersection” means the area embraced within the prolongation of the lateral curb lines, or, if there be no curbs, then the lateral roadway boundary lines of two or more streets which join one another at an angle, whether or not such streets cross one another. The junction of an alley with a street or highway shall not constitute an intersection.
9. “Legal owner” means a person having a security interest in a vehicle perfected in accordance with RCW Chapter 46.12 or the registered owner of a vehicle unencumbered by a security interest.
10. “Loading zone” means a space reserved for the exclusive use of vehicles during the loading or unloading of property or passengers.
11. “Motor home” means motor vehicles originally designed, reconstructed, or permanently altered to provide human habitation.
12. “Motor vehicle” means every vehicle which is self-propelled.
13. “Park” or “parking” means the standing of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, otherwise than temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading of property or passengers.
14. “Parking enforcement person” means an employee of the City under the direction of the City Treasurer who is responsible, along with the City’s police officers, to enforce the provisions of this chapter.
15. “Parking space” means any space which is duly designated for the parking of a single vehicle by appropriate markings on the pavement and/or the curb.
16. “Passenger loading zone” means a place reserved for the exclusive use of vehicles while receiving or discharging passengers.
17. “Planting strip” means that portion of a highway laying between the constructed curb or the edge of the roadway and the property line exclusive of the sidewalk area.
18. “Police officer” means a law enforcement officer of the City.
19. “Registered owner” means the person whose lawful right of possession of a vehicle has most recently been recorded with the Washington State Department of Licensing.
20. “Safety zone” means the area or space officially set apart within a roadway for the exclusive use of pedestrians and which is protected or is marked or indicated by painted marks, signs, buttons, or otherwise, so as to be plainly discernible.
21. “Sidewalk” means that property between the curb lines or the lateral lines of a roadway and the adjacent property, set aside and intended for the use of pedestrians or such portion of private property parallel and in proximity to a public highway and dedicated to use by pedestrians.
22. “Stand” or “standing” means the halting of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, otherwise than temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in receiving or discharging passengers.
23. “Parking violation” means the infringement of any parking regulation set forth in this chapter.
24. “Time-limited parking area” means a designated area that has restrictions on the time, days, and hours for parking. (Ord. 1865, 1998; Ord. 2225, 2011)